fig: Liquid limit device
– Liquid limit device is used for the determining the liquid limit.
– Take a soil sample passing through the sieve of 0.425 mm sieve. Make a paste of soil.
– Place it on the metal brass cup of liquid limit device and level horizontally using knife or spatula.
– Divide the soil into two portion using grooving tool.
– Rotate the liquid limit device at the rate of 2 revolution per second.
– Record the number of blows to close the bottom of groove through a distance of 13 mm.
– Determine the water content using Oven Drying Method.
– Water content at 25 no. of blows is taken as liquid limit device.
– Test should be done for at least 4 times.